Thursday, September 24, 2009

Taiko The Tank



Recently, our wonderful friends Emily and Nick, decided to expand their family. They adopted puppy Zoe Rose last Saturday, and promptly brought her over for a visit...
Needless to say, I about melted. She is a beautiful golden retriever who has the sweetest temperament and face - I died. As Em and Nick talked more about their experience, and conversations with the breeder, I became convinced: we should get a puppy too.

Mike and I have talked about getting a dog for some time (about the last year or so). We both love dogs (just one at a time though...) but were drawn to the big breeds (Goldens were #1 on my list, while Mike loves Labs). We didn't think that we could have a larger dog because we don't have a yard, so the doggie would have to be primarily indoors.

Em and Nick quelled that concern. The breeder they went with actually breeds service dogs, and so they are a line that is used to being mellow, and left alone if that is what their owner's needs are. She gave them some suggestions for their living arrangement, and it sounded totally doable!

Last night, Mike and I called the same breeder and asked if they still had a girl left. She said they did, and that she was the last one of the litter! Clearly, this was meant to be. I called Mike immediately (right as the bell for my class was ringing) and talked to all of the kids - "We're getting a dog!!!" They were all excited, and talked about ways for the puppy to spend its day with us, here at Fremont.

Mike and I went right after work to pick up supplies. We knew we were jumping the gun, but who can turn down an excuse to go to Costco? (wink wink) We also headed over to PetsMart and got some more stuff that Costco didn't carry - we were ready for our baby!! We called her to see what time would be good for us to come over. She said around 7:30, and also said that she had been mistaken about something:

The last puppy was a boy...

We had about an hour to kill, so we went home. I wasn't really sure what to do. I started thinking, why do I need to have a girl dog? What is wrong with a dude doggie? Mike had no preference, and said that it was up to me. I went online and did some research about the difference between males and females. These are the main differences:
  • The obvious difference :)
  • Size (males are typically 15-20 lbs. larger)
  • Males are often more affectionate whereas females tend to be more independent
The things that I might have been worried about with a boy dog can be "cured" by having them neutered as soon as possible.

We decided to go ahead and check him out.


Of course, when we walked through the door and saw him, by himself, it was done.

We chose the name Taiko after visiting a street faire in SF this weekend. They were having a Taiko show. I love, love, love Taiko. it is so badass, yet elegant and graceful at the same time. That is exactly what I would want out of a doggie. Plus, the name fits him, because he is HUGE!!!!! The breeder called him "chunky monkey." And on our way out whispered to us that he liked hot dogs....

Welcome to the family Taiko!

StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. haha so awesome! he's a chub, but that's cute in a baby. :) he's going to be one big doggie! is he a lot bigger than zoe? can't wait to meet him in 2 weeks!! i'll try to smuggle a hot dog on the plain so that he instantly likes me when i get there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP