Monday, September 21, 2009

Chose the Venue!


So, this post is coming a bit late - as the blog wasn't created until AFTER we had done a lot of the fun planning for our wedding. So, let's back it up a bit.

Mike and I put a lot of thought about where to have our wedding. Santa Barbara has so much meaning to both of us, and to us as a couple, so naturally we started there. The day we got back from Santa Barbara (for my friend's bachelorette) I started looking at places and contacting them. Within the day, I was rethinking it (Mike was at work - he comes in later...) We don't really know people in SB anymore, so each planning trip we would make would mean a long drive, getting a hotel room, eating out, etc. I loved the idea of having an excuse to travel down there, but I realized that with our busy schedules, it would probably be more of a pain that it would be fun and rewarding.

Onto the next choice.

We moved on to thinking about our next favorite place: wine country. We love going on weekend or even day trips to Napa and are members at several wineries there. I was going to the spa with my mom in Sonoma one weekend, and so we decided to look there as well. On my way down, I was talking to my friend Emily about her wedding (which was fast approaching in just a few weeks) I was telling her about some of the rates that these places were charging for food and renting the space etc. It was quite a shock, but then again, I didn't know any better. She quickly set me on the right track. It would cost close to 60% of our budget to just feed people at our wedding - definitely not happening. So, we found ourselves back in square one.

We started looking more seriously at places in San Jose. The convenience of that idea became more and more appealing the more we talked about it. After all, aren't weddings supposed to be a fun, and joyous celebration? I already know that I will be getting sick from excitement the day of (as I have since I was a kid!) No need to have that happen every step of the way!

While we were Truckee for Emily's wedding, I was feverishly emailing places, feeling the time crunch coming down (our wedding at this point was less than one year away) I heard back immediately from two places: Hotel Valencia in Santana Row and Bella Montagna.

Each of these places had their own appeal for very different reasons.

Hotel Valencia is in the middle of a very posh outdoor shopping and dining area in downtown San Jose. Mike and I frequent the area restaurants and wine bar, and have been known to window shop amongst the Gucci, Burberry and Prada stores. The hotel is Asian themed, and very modern, both things that we loved. The ceremony could take place outside in a courtyard and then we would move inside to party. Plus, it had the additional benefit of being a hotel - so our guests wouldn't have to go far from getting ready to the wedding and then to bed!

Bella Montagna is actually a private home in the hills of South San Jose. It is called an "Italian style villa" by its owners, and boasts views of the valley and Santa Cruz mountains on a clear day. (See below)

It has an intimate feel, as the ceremony and reception would take place on the lawn and cocktail hour on the patio alongside the house. They also have a small vineyard, which was dripping with bright purple grapes when we visited.

Lawn - where the ceremony would take place


Our first visit was to Hotel Valencia - a site that I was convinced I would love. However, when we walked in, it just didn't feel right. We met the wedding planner and she walked us to the outdoor space where the ceremony would take place. Again - just didn't feel right. It was very cavernous, and almost too big for what Mike and I had been talking about. Additionally, when I looked up, what did I see? People's patios from their rooms. I didn't know how I felt about random people watching our wedding, or smoking stogies on their patio during our vows... Then we walked into the reception space, and for me, the deal was sealed. It felt like a conference area that I have been in as a part of a school professional development opportunity. It was cold, unwelcoming, and needed too much in the way of decorations. The walls were bare, the ceiling bare, the chairs - you got it! - bare. We walked out and I was pretty let down. I just wanted to find the place, and know it was right.

Onto Bella Montagna.

I had actually gone there before a few days prior to visiting the Valencia. (while Mike was bowling - he had already missed a few games and didn't want to let his team down. Such commitment!!) I remember calling Mike and saying, "this place is sick!" But I didn't want to get too attached to it because 1) Mike wasn't there and 2) I was set on the Valencia. After our let down at the hotel, I just hoped beyond hope that this would work out. We pulled the car through the wooden gates, and were greeted by Marcia - the wedding planner for the site. She walked us through all of the property and I fell more and more in love with it the longer we stayed there. We sat down to go through the particulars and after a moment without Marcia - Mike and I agreed that this was it!!

We sent in the contract, and Bella Montagna is ours for July 17, 2010!! Be there - 5:00 sharp!

I have included a few pictures so that you can get a sense of the place -


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP